I know I haven't written FOREVER... my excuse is the internet works so randomly that I never have a chance to finish a post. And I have a two year old who does things like... gets into the vasoline! Fabulous I know...
We packed and or stuffed our car to the brim and headed out for Canada the beginning of this month. After a 14 hour drive we ended up sleeping in Wolf Point, Montana. We woke up the next morning went to breakfast and headed to the Canadian border. We were told by our companies lawyer to enter as tourists and then she would change our status and we could go pick up our visas... and that this is perfectly legal they do it all the time. No big deal right? Well we try not to lie so we told them about our trip we were planning on taking after the summer and so we were asked to come inside. The officer unpacked our WHOLE car all the way down to my journal. He sat outside and READ it!! There is one line in there that says "we are moving to Canada this summer". So he comes inside and submits it as "evidence" and quotes the law about lying to him. We tell him the full story and after continuing to go through our stuff (ie reading my entire journal, our computer, maps, purse, checkbook, looking up my blog etc.) submitting things as evidence and talking on the phone to other people (in the other room) as if he has uncovered some fraud ring or something? So 5 hours later we are denied access and told to go to a different port in the morning to meet with a senior officer or else... Oh and to re-pack our belongings that were now strewn about and in comploete chaos. This officer was a jerk! (another reason why I havn't updated, I don't want him looking up my blog again, it creeps me out) So we drove another 2 - 3 hours and met with someone else. This officer was very respectful. They went through our car BUT they repacked it. They asked us questions BUT didn't treat us like criminals, they denied us entry BUT were cool about it and gave us information on what we needed in order to come in. We spent about 3 hours there and another hour trying to get through the US side. AHHHHH.
We talked to our manager out here and he decided to go with his plan B and said we are moving the office to N. Dakota until everything can be worked out legally with Canada. Everything went smoothly and we were impressed with the way it was handled. We did live in a hotel for almost 2 weeks including Mother's Day but we are now in our apartment which is livable! I'm so glad to have my stuff unpacked. :) There is my long story of how we came to be in N Dakota. I still laugh when I picture a map and think... What are we doing here???



3 comments:
Packing up and moving once for the summer is a big enough pain, sorry you're having to do it three or four times! I hope everything is going well for you guys.
SO...... CANADA is lame.. and p.s do you have any relations to the Sagebin's?? I think you should be my sister??? Then we woujld be related and they can come find me in Canada!!I am running from the law! WEll Kim even though your a criminal, I like you!
Kim! That is soo crazy! (stupid Canadians;)jk)Danielle told me all about it at Cami's shower! Of all places N. Dakota? I hope you guys have fun though!
Post a Comment