Thursday, March 29, 2012

Henoch Purpura = Crazy purple spots


I'm going to record this for future reference in case it happens again...

One day (of course it was a Saturday evening) out of no where I was helping Laylah go to the bathroom and she had these red spots all over her legs. What? They looked like hives. So I started trying to figure out if it could have been an allergy... I used my normal remedies. She did seem a bit uncomfortable but I think she was just tired.
The next day they looked like this!!!
Purple... The normal behavior of hives is to itch like crazy, and if you draw a circle around one of the bumps it should change size, shape completely within a few hours. These seemed to be in the same places and she never once tried to scratch them. But she said ouch if we pushed them. NOT the normal behavior of anything I had ever seen..

She still didn't seem bothered. I did a lot of research and found a couple of things it may be. I took her to the doctor Monday. He said it was 'Henoch Purpura'. This is short description: HSP seems to represent an unusual reaction of the body's immune system that is in response to this infection (either bacteria or virus). The blood vessels become inflamed. She had some kind of an infection which caused a high fever for 24 hours and then she was fine.. but that was about 1-2 weeks prior? I don't know, it was crazy. I'm going to have one more test run to make sure it didn't affect her kidneys. But she seems to be back to normal! Oh and I didn't think it would be a big deal to get her to pee in a bag... wrong! She was way to interested in what I was doing, it took 2 days to finally have success!
It was so sad. The Dr. said the bruising should last up to 6 weeks. I don't know if it was because of what I was doing (mostly applying oils and salves topically) but they were gone in 1 week.
We are happy that it wasn't anything serious!







2 comments:

McCall said...

What?!? That is crazy! I am glad that she is better and impressive that they were gone in 1 week! I need oils. :)

Cando said...

oh my gosh! Poor little thing! I am glad I read this post because I would freak out if this happened to one of my kids. Im so glad it wasn't anything more serious! I also wanted you to know that we are having a craft night at my casa on the third at 7:30 if you want to come! Send me your email addy and I'll show you what we are making!